This is a story of my backpacking experience in Australia.
Year and a half ago, when I was 19 years old I decided that after high school I want to see the world outside of Finland. Thus I saved some money, bought a flight ticket and hugged my parents for a goodbye. And so began by far the best four months of my life.
As you can imagine culture shock hit a "first time abroad by myself"-me pretty fast. First week I spend in Australia was also my worst week in Australia. I was feeling a bit lost at first, but luckily it was about to change. As I spend first three months living in hostels, it was impossible not to make new friends, even if you're Finnish. When I had lived two weeks in Sydney a mutual friend of mine send me a Facebook message, telling me that she was in Australia too, and she was coming to Sydney and asked if we could meet up. We met in a little coffee shop, where we made a decision I'm still glad about; Let's go backpacking through the East Coast!
During this journey, starting from Sydney all the way up to Cairns and back down to Melbourne, I experienced more than I had experienced in Finland altogether. I made dozens of new friends, did some crazy things and saw so beautiful places that I still dream about. We stopped at eight cities/towns which all had their own unique thing. You can see few of my favorite places below.
I've seen many pictures of a beautiful places in the internet before, but seeing these in real life - it's breathtaking. I never could've imagined that our planet earth can be so magnificent and make me feel so alive. I consider myself very adventurous and on this trip I skydived next to the Great Barrier Reef, did some scuba diving with sharks, surfed at Byron Bay and spent three days at the worlds largest sand island, Fraser Island. I recommend everybody to do something extraordinary once in a while - go hiking, do a road trip to another part of your country, even go to Mongolia and spend ten days in a silent camp, you name it! I promise it will make you fell in love with life even more if possible.
After our East Coast trip was over, my friend went back to Finland and I moved to Melbourne to work for a couple of months. I met few girls whom had the same plans as I and we decided to move in together. Last two months I was living in a shared flat with the two friends of mine and three boys - some might say that was the biggest experience of my travels!
My first - and certainly not last - backpacking trip changed my future plans, and made me more fearless, open and loving person. In that trip I realized that if something can make me so unbelievably happy - why not help others have that too. That was the moment I knew I wanted to work in a travelling business in the future. To make other people dreams come true too.
Milla Hakuli
During this journey, starting from Sydney all the way up to Cairns and back down to Melbourne, I experienced more than I had experienced in Finland altogether. I made dozens of new friends, did some crazy things and saw so beautiful places that I still dream about. We stopped at eight cities/towns which all had their own unique thing. You can see few of my favorite places below.
![]() |
| Here you can see my route through East Coast of Australia |
![]() |
| Me at Noosa National Park |
![]() |
| Us driving around Fraser Island on 4X4 - between jungle and sea |
I've seen many pictures of a beautiful places in the internet before, but seeing these in real life - it's breathtaking. I never could've imagined that our planet earth can be so magnificent and make me feel so alive. I consider myself very adventurous and on this trip I skydived next to the Great Barrier Reef, did some scuba diving with sharks, surfed at Byron Bay and spent three days at the worlds largest sand island, Fraser Island. I recommend everybody to do something extraordinary once in a while - go hiking, do a road trip to another part of your country, even go to Mongolia and spend ten days in a silent camp, you name it! I promise it will make you fell in love with life even more if possible.
![]() |
| Ahoy Captain! Sailing at Whitsundays. |
After our East Coast trip was over, my friend went back to Finland and I moved to Melbourne to work for a couple of months. I met few girls whom had the same plans as I and we decided to move in together. Last two months I was living in a shared flat with the two friends of mine and three boys - some might say that was the biggest experience of my travels!
My first - and certainly not last - backpacking trip changed my future plans, and made me more fearless, open and loving person. In that trip I realized that if something can make me so unbelievably happy - why not help others have that too. That was the moment I knew I wanted to work in a travelling business in the future. To make other people dreams come true too.
Milla Hakuli




Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti